Monday, January 12, 2009

Chicken Parmesan

Chicken Parmesan is one of my favorite meals. Being on a new health kick, I tried to make it as healthy as I could without taking any yumminess away ;) I know anything is healthier if its not battered, but this is one recipe I just won't change! I served this salad with a rucola (arugula) Balsamic salad. The strong rucola flavor blended really well with the tomato sauce! I'm crazy for rucola, I can put that green stuff on anything... so I might be a little biased!

Ingredients
(serves 6)

3 skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 large egg
1/2 cup breadcrumbs*
1/2 tsp oregano*
1/2 tsp basil*
30 g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
PAM cooking spray (about 3 x 3 second sprays)
2 jars (500g) of tomato-basil type prepared pasta sauce
1 can (400g) crushed tomatoes**
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
- Remove filets from under the breast and set aside.
- Pound chicken breast so it is even thickness all over, not too thin, about the same as the filet.
- Cut chicken breast into 3 equal strips (like the filets) and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg.
- In another bowl, mix bread crumbs, oregano, and basil.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg, then in crumbs and set aside.
- Heat a large deep pan and spray once with PAM.
- Add chicken pieces and spray top with PAM (this is to get it crispy once you flip the chicken). (You might need to cook chicken in 2 batches depending the size of you pan).
- Once chicken is cooked on both sides, add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low for 15-20 minutes. If the sauce gets too thick, add a little water to desired consistency.

Serve over spaghetti, or you choice of pasta.
Top with fresh parmesan cheese (1 tsbp = 1/2 WW point)

*Can replace the breadcrumbs, oregano and basil with Italian Seasoned breadcrumbs.
**I'm not a fan of tomato chunks, so I puree a can of tomatoes. If you like the chunks, go ahead and add a can of diced tomatoes instead of crushed tomatoes ;)

Nutritional Data
1 serving = 2 strips of chicken + sauce
(does not include pasta)
6 WW points
320 cal
7.5g fat
107 mg cholesterol
24 g carbs
4.2 g fiber
36 g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment