Sunday, January 11, 2009

Celeriac Soup

I kept seeing this strange looking root vegetable at the supermarket and decided to buy one. Turns out this strange looking vegetable is Celeriac. They call it celery in Hungary, and call what we know as celery English Celery. Basically, celeriac is celery root. After reading up on it, I found out that it is very popular in Europe, and uncommon and usually hard to find and expensive in North America. It's strange to think of a root vegetable as expensive, especially since 1/2 a Celeriac in Budapest cost me 0.60$. I decided to make soup with it. I love creamy soups more then chunky soups, so I tend to puree all my soups. This way I can often sneak in some good vegetables and pass them to the kids without them knowing... and my little critics think they are so clever... who's clever now?!
I wasn't sure what to expect, but this came out wonderfully. This soup tastes exactly like a cream of celery soup, just 10 times better then the stuff that comes out of a can ;) Hope you enjoy it!


Ingredients
(4 servings)

1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
300 g celeriac, peeled and cubed(aprox 2 cups cubed)
4 cups vegetable broth
1 medium potato
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
4 celery tops with leaves, whole, not chopped
fresh parsley, 2 tbsp

Directions
- Heat oil in a medium pot. Add onions and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add celeriac cover and cook 5 minutes to soften
- Add potatoes, broth, bay leaf, parsley, and celery tops
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes or until celeriac and potatoes are soft.
- Remove celery tops and bay leaf and discard.
- Let soup cool and puree it with a hand mixer.

Nutritional Data
1 Serving
2 WW Points
115 cal
3.5 g fat
18.4 carbs
2.8 g fat
1.9 g protein

3 comments:

  1. i fait peur ste legume la !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we put it in meat soup aswell, for the taste, among plenty of other vegetables! Wicked blog! Zita

    ReplyDelete