Sunday, February 15, 2009

Turkey Bolognese Sauce

I love Spaghetti Bolognese, and to make it worse, I like mine "gratinée" or "au gratin" as some others may say, which is topped with cheese then melted under the broiler! I'm salivating just thinking about my Spaghetti Gratinée! However, it can pack a good amount of calories and fat, so I made some changes to my regular beef sauce. Turkey doesn't quite have the same texture as beef, but once the sauce is mix with the pasta and topped with cheese, I am satisfied. I usually melt mozzarella on top, but to cut back on calories, I am opting for Parmesan, which I love just as much!


Ingredients
(makes 7 cups of sauce)

1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups diced onion
1 1/2 cup bell pepper (color of your choice, I prefer sweet)
1 cup diced celery
4 garlic cloes, minced

1 lb ground turkey (white meat)
salt & pepper to taste

2 cans (14 oz/400g each) of chopped tomatoes
1 jar (14 oz/400g) Passata (tomato puree)
1 cup water
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp sun-dried tomato pesto
2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp sugar *

Directions
-Heat oil in a large pot.
- Add diced vegetables and garlic.
- Cook covered, stirring occasionally for 5-10 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Add groudn turkey and season with salt and pepper. Mix and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up the turkey.
- Once Turkey is no longer pink, add the remaining ingreditents and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes on low or until the water has absorbed and the sauce is thick. If you wish to have a less thick sauce, you can add 1 cup of tomato sauce instead of water and don't simmer it as long... although, it won't be as flavourful if it simmers for less time.

* The sugar is there to break down the acidity from the chopped tomatoes and passata.

Nutritional Data
1 cup serving
6 WW points
280.1 cal
12.9 g fat
65.6 mg cholesterol
14.7 g carbs
3.4 g fiber
4.8 g sugars
21.2 g protein

3 comments:

  1. yum! sounds delicious! I will most definitely be making this sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is another idea for Bolognese sauce instead of ground meat use red lentils, I found this in a veggie cookbook. Lentils are packed with protein. Really simple sauce. You got this gratin thing from your mum!! ;)
    Aunt L

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, but no thanks, LOL

    Not a lentil fan, I'd have the extra fat from the beef before having vegetarian bolognese... it seems wrong to have meatless bolognese! LOL

    ReplyDelete